10 Windows disable/enable WSD discovery
WSD is a problem protocol when it comes to printers.
WSD printing breaks my network printer
WSD (Web Services for Devices)

turn off Network Discovery or at least disable "automatic setup". Just go to the Network and Sharing Center and choose Advanced sharing settings. Turning off "automatic setup" will prevent the workstation from re-detecting and adding the WSD printers again (and again, and again). However I've found it can be spontaneously re-enabled after some of the semi-annual Windows 10 Updates.

WSD is a problem protocol when it comes to printers
You don't need WSD in enterprise. WSD is great for home networks

Do not use WSD or LPR protocols for the printer, which are causing problems. Use TCP/IP protocol that often enables more and better functions for the printing than the former ports. Make sure you have static/fixed/reserved IP address out of the DHPC pool assigned to the printer.

Most print problems I have seen recently are because of the "WSD" port. Usually to get rid of it either tell windows what printer to use as a default and to tell windows not to install printer automatically.
But I have never found a reason to use the WSD port. Too slow and problematic.

what is WSD printing? Its stands for Secure Web Services on Devices

its a network setup protocol for printers. Its supposed to make setting up printers easier, but what it unfortunately does is break printers and not allow them to print. WSD is the default way Microsoft wants Windows 10 to setup a printer. The next big thing is that even if you manually setup a printer, the WSD service can (and will) randomly setup printers to use the WSD Port and break printing. Sometimes one of the symptoms of this problem is sudden, slow printing, so take note.

Ok, I'm actually on the other side of this coin. I have 3 users setup to print to a network printer. 2 are connected by IP Address and 1 is connected by a WSD port. The 1 connected by a WSD port can print Work Orders from our ERP system ALWAYS, everytime. The other 2 connected by IP Address have problems. Sometimes it works but more times than not it will print the first page and then nothing?? Just my 2 cents that I can't explain.

The only time I've ever found use of WSD is if a client has a computer that they're not the local admin on. WSD gets them printing straight away without elevation. Other than that, I find myself disabling WSD installed devices and re-installing via TCP/IP quite often for many of our clients.

WSD seems a great idea for installing printers but you probably shouldnt use it

WSD (Web Services for Devices) was designed to make life easy when it comes to installing printers. However, it often has the opposite effect, and in many cases, you probably shouldnt use it. Here we tell you why.
What exactly is WSD?

WSD is a similar technology to Apples Airprint. Essentially, any computer on the same network as a WSD enabled device will automatically install the printer on your behalf.
Microsoft and Wikipedia describe it as:

Web Services for Devices allows network-connected IP-based devices to advertise their functionality and offer these services to clients by using the Web Services protocol.
WSD provides a network plug-and-play experience for Printers, Scanners and File Shares that is similar to installing a USB device.
This removes the painful process of unearthing the correct device driver, the devices IP address and figuring out how to install it on the computer.
Sounds like a great idea! Who enjoys installing printer drivers, right? But
The problem with WSD

The problem with this is that Microsoft uses a generic driver designed to work with a whole range of devices. This means you will be able to print in mono or colour, and choose between single or double sided. If thats all you need, then WSD will certainly be a benefit.
For those looking for a bit more from their Printer/Multifunctional, they may need all of the features available to the device such as Secure Print, Store in Mailbox, Department ID Authentication, Booklet Folding, Saddle Stitching, Hole Punch etc.
In this scenario, you really dont want Windows installing a WSD based print driver. Heres how to prevent it.

using a WSD Port is hit or miss

Most of the time, Windows will try to install the printer using a WSD Port instead of a TCP/IP Port. From my experience, using a WSD Port is hit or miss. Sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes it doesn't. Some manufactures do not work well with WSD ports. Some do. However, using a TCP/IP Port always works flawlessly. And how the TCP/IP Port is created also makes a big difference.

When the TCP/IP Port is created, it can either be setup to use the IP Address of the printer or the Hostname of the printer. If it uses the Hostname, this means that it relies on the DNS to resolve the printer's IP Address. If the DNS is not working correctly, it can cause issues like this. This is why I always use the IP Address of the printer and never the Hostname.

Make sure time/SNTP of the printer and whole network is correctly set. Maximum 5 min. deviation.

Another thing in driver settings which I always disable is SNMP port.
Go to Devices and Printers, right click on printer you want to set and select Printer Properties.
In tab Ports choose option configure port and disable SNMP status.
It can only cause printer shown offline even if it is properly connected on network.